Posted by on Nov 18, 2013 in Education, Schools | 0 comments

AssistiveTechnology/Alternative Augmentative Communication


Assistive Technology/Alternative Augmentative Communication



Assistive Technology is technology used by individuals with disabilities in order to perform functions that might otherwise be difficult or impossible.

Who & Where: Typically a highly trained speech therapist will assist your child with an augmentative communication device. Many schools and service agencies are now using Assistive Tech Specialists for augmentative communication.

An augmentative communication device can be anything from a simple picture board to an extensive computer system. There are many ways to communicate besides verbal language. Augmentative communication devices can be the answer to helping your child communicate with you. Augmentative communication does not eliminate the use of verbal speech. Both can be worked on as goals for your child. Make sure that different augmentative communication devices are tried to find the best one for your child.

Who Pays: School, Medicaid, Medwaiver, Private Pay

More info: Helping Non-Verbal Kids to Communicate




Back to main page